Posted: Nov 05, 2018
MOUNT ST. MARY'S (0-0) at NC STATE (0-0)
Tuesday, November 6, 7 pm
PNC Arena, Raleigh, N.C.
- Mount St. Mary's basketball brings a new look to the season opener at NC State. The Mountaineers, under the direction of first year head coach Dan Engelstad, have a roster that features a graduate student, seven sophomores and nine freshmen. The Mount's top returnee is sophomore Omar Habwe, who averaged 2.6 points and 1.5 rebounds in 11.1 minutes of action last season.
- The Mount defeated Hood College, 87-81, in an exhibition game at Knott Arena last Thursday. The Mountaineers had five players in double figures, led by Jalen Gibbs, a transfer from Drake, who scored a team-high 23 points, hitting 10-of-10 at the line in the game. Freshman Vado Morse added 13 points and four assists while redshirt freshman Nana Opoku added 12 points and six boards. Omar Habwe added 11 points, five rebounds and three blocks off the bench while freshman forward Malik Jefferson notched a double-double with 10 points and 11 boards.
- The Mount went 18-14 overall last season, and finished in second place in the Northeast Conference with a 12-6 league record. The Mount has posted a winning season in NEC play in each of the past six years.
- The Mountaineers are beginning their 110th season of collegiate basketball. The Mountaineers holds a 57-52 all-time record in season openers, but have won a season opener since an 84-76 win at Loyola on Nov. 14, 2008.
- Players on the 2018-19 roster have scored just 103 points in a Mountaineer uniform in their careers. Omar Habwe (82), James West IV (11), Ace Stallings (6) and Brandon Leftwich (4) comprise the group. Graduate transfer K.J. Scott scored 437 points in 42 games at Texas Southern (2016-18) while transfer Jalen Gibbs tallied 107 points in 32 games at Drake last year.
SEASON TICKETS: Contact the Mount ticket office at 301-447-5700.