Mount St. Mary's Falls to Fairleigh Dickinson, 80-79, on Thursday Night

Mount St. Mary's Falls to Fairleigh Dickinson, 80-79, on Thursday Night

Emmitsburg, Md. (February 15, 2018)--Greg Alexander's potential game-winning three-point shot at the buzzer was off the mark, and Fairleigh Dickinson defeated Mount St. Mary's, 80-79, at Knott Arena on Thursday night.  Junior Robinson led the Mount with 23 points and five assists.

Trailing 76-71 with 1:36 remaining, the Mount rallied to even the score with 14.5 second remaining.  Chris Wray's traditional three-point play with 1:00 left in the game cut the Mount deficict to 76-64.  Fairleigh Dickinson (11-15, 8-7 NEC) answered with a pair of Noah Morgan free throws, but the Mount's Robinson was fouled on a three-point attempt with 25.9 second remaining.  Robinson hit 2-of-3 at the line to cut the deficit to 78-76, and FDU's Jahlil Jenkins hit 1-of-2 at the line to give the Knights a three-point lead.  Robinson was again fouled on a three-point attempt, and this time he hit all three free throws to tie the game at 79-79 with 14.5 seconds on the clock.

Fairleigh Dickinson got the inbounds to Darnell Edge, who was fouled on the play, with 13.7 seconds remaining.  Edge, who had made 45 consecutive free throws, missed the first shot of a two-shot foul.  He recovered to make the second free throw to give FDU a one-point lead.  On the final possession, Wray was able to find Alexander open at the top of the key for a three-point attempt, but his shot was off the mark, and the Knights escaped with the win.

Robinson struggled from the field, going 3-for-14 in the game, but the NEC's leading scorer hit 14-of-16 at the line to finish with 23 points.  Donald Carey added 13 points and seven rebounds with Bobby Planutis and Jonah Antonio finishing with 12 points each.  Planutis matched his career high in points while notching a career-best eight rebounds and four blocks in the loss.  Alexander scored 10 points off the bench with Wray finishing with seven points and a career-best eight assists along with five rebounds and three blocked shots.

Mike Holloway, Jr., led Fairleigh Dickinson with 23 points and nine rebounds with Edge adding 18 points, six rebounds, five assists and three steals.  Kaleb Bishop had a double-double of 16 points and 14 rebounds with Noah Morgan chipping in 14 points in the victory.

The Mount held a 57-50 lead with 11:42 remaining before FDU rattled off a 16-to-6 run to grab a 66-63 lead.  Planutis hit a three-pointer to tie the game, but the Knights responded with an 8-to-2 spurt to make it 74-68 with just over three minutes on the clock.

Mount St. Mary's made six three-pointers in the opening five minutes to take its biggest lead of the game at 18-9.  Fairleigh Dickinson rallied to pull ahead 36-31, but the Mount scored the final seven points of the half for a 38-36 halftime advantage.

The Mountaineers are back in action on Saturday, February 17, with a 1:00 p.m. road game at Sacred Heart.