Mount St. Mary's Edged by Fairleigh Dickinson, 73-72

Mount St. Mary's Edged by Fairleigh Dickinson, 73-72

Hackensack, N.J. (January 20, 2018)—Mount St. Mary's staged a furious late rally, but came up just short in a 73-72 loss at Fairleigh Dickinson on Saturday afternoon at Stratis Arena.  The Mount's Junior Robinson had a chance to win the game at the buzzer, but his three-point attempt was long.

Trailing 73-67 after a pair of Jahlil Jenkins free throws with 14.8 seconds, Robinson was fouled on a three-point attempt with 11.3 seconds on the clock.  He hit all three free throws to cut the deficit to73-70.  On the ensuing possession, the Mount got a steal and Jonah Antonio scored on a lay-up, and he was fouled on the play, to make it 73-72 with 6.5 seconds on the clock.  Antonio's free throw was off the mark, and the Mount fouled FDU's Kaleb Bishop on the rebound with 5.3 seconds left.

Bishop missed the free throw, and Chris Wray grabbed the board, and fed the ball to Robinson, who raced up court, but his three-pointer from the left wing was long and FDU escaped with the win.

Robinson led the Mount (10-11, 4-4 NEC) with 19 points and seven assists while Wray had a tremendous game with 12 points, 13 rebounds, five steals, three assists and three blocks.  It is Wray's third double-double of the season.  Antonio added 17 points, hitting 5-of-12 from three-point range, with Omar Habwe chipping in a career-high 11 points in the game.

Darnell Edge led FDU with 18 points while Jenkins finished with 16 points.  Mike Holloway, Jr. added 12 points and Bishop 11 in the victory.

Mount St. Mary's held a 42-34 lead early in the second half before FDU went on an 18-to-3 run to take a 52-45 advantage.  The Knights (6-13, 3-5 NEC) pushed the advantage to 59-50 on a pair of Edge free throws with just over eight minutes left.

The Mount rallied, cutting the deficit to 62-61 with 5:40 on the clock with Antonio keying the surge with three three-point baskets.  Edge stopped the Mount run with a three-pointer, and FDU was able to extend the lead to 71-65 on a Holloway, Jr., dunk with 1:01 remaining.  Wray's lay-up with 41 seconds left made it 71-67, setting up the exciting final minute.

Mount St. Mary's shot 42.4 percent in the game and was 13-of-39 (.333) from three-point range.  The Knights shot 50.0 percent overall and were 9-of-21 (.429) from  beyond the arc, including 6-of-10 in the second half.

The Mountaineers started the game off quickly, hitting three-pointers on the first three possessions to take a 9-0 lead.  Robinson started the game with back-to-back triples ahead of a Carey three-pointer.  FDU fought back to take a 15-14 advantage on a Pat McNamara three-pointer, but the Mount's Habwe countered with a four-point play to give the Mount the lead back.  That keyed an 8-0 run that was capped by a Habwe dunk that pushed the Mount lead to 22-15.

The Knights rallied again to take a 27-26 advantage on an Edge transition bucket.  Wray scored the next four points, including a dunk off an alley-oop pass from Robinson on the fast break.  The Mount trailed 34-32 after a Jenkins basket, but closed the half on a three-pointer by Bobby Planutis and a Habwe dunk for a 37-34 lead at the half.

The Mount shot 46.4 percent (13-of-28) from the field in the first half, hitting 7-of-18 (.389) from three-point range.  Fairleigh Dickinson shot 50.0 percent (15-of-30) while connecting on 3-of-11 (.273) from beyond the arc.

Robinson led the Mount with nine points and for assists in the opening half with Habwe adding eight points.  Wray stuffed the stat sheet in the half with six points, six rebounds, three steals and two assists.  Bishop and Edge each had eight points for the Knights.

The Mount returns to action on Thursday, January 25, when LIU Brooklyn visits Knott Arena.  Tip-off is set for 9:00 p.m. and the game will air live on the CBS Sports Network.