Big Second Half Lifts Mount St. Mary's Past Central Connecticut, 78-51

Big Second Half Lifts Mount St. Mary's Past Central Connecticut, 78-51

Emmitsburg, Md. (January 6, 2018)--Mount St. Mary's scored 51 points in the second half to run away from Central Connecticut, 78-51, in Northeast Conference action at Knott Arena on Saturday afternoon.  Junior Robinson scored 23 of his game-high 27 points in the second half to lead the Mountaineers to the victory.

Leading 45-40 near the midpoint of the second half, the Mount hit four three-pointers over a span of 57 seconds to stretch the advantage to 57-40.  Greg Alexander started the run ahead of a Robinson three-pointer.  Jonah Antonio then drilled a pair of triples in a span of 15 seconds to give the Mount a 17-point lead with 10:14 remaining.

After Central Connecticut's Shakaris Laney hit a three-pointer, the Mount (8-9, 2-2 NEC) continued the offensive onslaught by scoring the next eight points to stretch the advantage to 21 points (64-43).  Donald Carey had a lay-up, Antonio added another three-pointer, and Robinson scored in the paint during the quick 8-0 spurt.  From there, the Mount was able to cruise to the win.

Mount St. Mary's hit 11-of-19 (.579) from three-point range in the second half, tying a school record for most three-pointers in a half.  The Mount hit 11 three-pointers in the first half of an 82-74 overtime win UMBC Feb. 11, 2003.  Overall, the Mount shot 50.0 percent (28-of-56) in game while making 16-of-33 (.485) from beyond the arc.  The 16 three-pointers made are a season high, and are tied for the third most in a game in Mount history. 

Robinson was 9-of-16 from the field, 5-of-9 from three-point range and 4-of-4 at the line for his 27-point effort.  He has scored 25 or more points in five of the Mount's six home games this season, and is averaging 26.8 points per game at Knott Arena this season.  Robinson added four assists and three steals in the win.  Antonio went 6-of-11 from three-point range to finish with 18 points for the second consecutive game.  Greg Alexander added 15 points off the bench while Chris Wray chipped in four points, nine rebounds, six assists, two steals and two blocks.

Mustafa Jones led Central Connecticut (8-9. 1-3 NEC) with 15 points while Deion Bute added 11 points and eight rebounds.  CCSU shot 37.5 percent in the game and was just 3-of-19 (.158) from three-point range.

After falling behind 8-4 early in the game, the Mountaineers went on a 12-to-4 run to take a 16-to-12 advantage.  Ryan Gomes capped the run with back-to-back buckets on the pick-and-roll.  The Mount extended the lead to 25-20 on an Antonio three-pointer, but cCSU was able to close the half on a 7-to-2 run to tie the game, 27-27, at the half.

Mount St. Mary's is back in action on Thursday, January 11, when Sacred Heart visits Knott Arena for a 7:00 p.m. tip-off.