New Havin, Connecticut (April 7, 2019) - The Mount men's and women's tennis teams were downed by Sacred Heart on Sunday morning at Yale University on the Yale tennis courts. The Mount St. Mary's men were edged 4-3 by the Pioneers while the Mount St. Mary's women were defeated 6-1 by the Pioneers.
Jean Armstrong and Alonso Garcia led the Mountaineers men with a singles match wins and doubles match wins on the day. For the Mount women, Alexa Quintanilla picked up her team leading 14th singles flight victory while she also added a doubles win to lead the team on the day.
Sacred Heart and Mount St. Mary's battled in a hard fought match that came down to the last singles flight. With the match all even at 3-3, the sixth and final flight came down to the very last third tie-breaker set that decided which team walked away with the win. In the sixth flight, Bryan Einstoss edged Evan Hine 6-3, 5-7, 7-6 in a matchup that came down to the end. The Pioneers took the first, second, and third flights before the sixth flight while the Mountaineers grabbed the number four and five flights. Alonso Garcia defeated Lucca Casalduc 5-7, 7-5, 6-2 in the fourth slot while Jean Armstrong topped Francisco Del Valle 4-6, 6-3, 7-5 in the fifth slot.
In doubles competition, the Mount swept all three flights that gave them the doubles point. Jackson Wood/Parth Sharma edged Hosokawa/Wibmer 5-4 in the number one flight. In the second flight, Jean Armstrong/Evan Hine topped Casalduc/Einstoss 6-1. Lastly, Alonso Garcia/Gabriel Santos downed Sause/Del Valle 6-4 in the third flight.
In singles action, Sacred Heart clinched the match after they grabbed the third flight. The Pioneers also took all of the flights except for the number one flight. Mountaineers Alexa Quintanilla nabbed the win at the number one flight for the Mount's lone point of the match.
Sacred Heart earned the point from doubles action after they took the second and third flights. Alexa Quintanilla and Hannah Davis did not finish their doubles flight match because the doubles point had already been decided.
The Mount men's and women's tennis teams welcome Coppin State for Senior Day on Tuesday, April 9 at 2 PM before the two squads travel to Bucknell on Wednesday, April 10 for a match at 3:30 PM. The match at Bucknell on Wednesday will be the men's last match of the regular season.
Men: Sacred Heart 4, Mount St. Mary's 3
1. Seiji Hosokawa (SHU) def. Jackson Wood (MSMM) 5-7, 6-4, 6-4
2. William Wibmer (SHU) def. Parth Sharma (MSMM) 6-1, 6-1
3. Chris Sause (SHU) def. Gabriel Santos (MSMM) 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
4. Alonso Garcia (MSMM) def. Lucca Casalduc (SHU) 5-7, 7-5, 6-2
5. Jean Armstrong (MSMM) def. Francisco Del Valle (SHU) 4-6, 6-3, 7-5
6. Bryan Einstoss (SHU) def. Evan Hine (MSMM) 6-3, 5-7, 7-6
Order of finish: (2,1,3,4,5,6)
1. Sharma/Wood (MSMM) def. Hosokawa/Wibmer (SHU) 5-4
2. Armstrong/Hine (MSMM) def. Casalduc/Eintoss (SHU) 6-1
3. Garcia/Santos (MSMM) def. Sause/Del Valle (SHU) 6-4
Order of finish: (2,3,-)
Women: Sacred Heart 6, Mount St. Mary's 1
1. Alexa Quintanilla (MSMW) def. Olivia Podsiebierski (SHU) 5-7, 6-0, 1-0
2. Brianne Lauria (SHU) def. Megan Smith (MSMW) 7-6, 6-1
3. Keira Tobia (SHU) def. Hannah Davis (MSMW) 6-2, 6-2
4. Lauren Santarsiero (SHU) def. Taylor Cook (MSMW) 6-1, 6-0
5. Sabrina Nauarro (SHU) def. Mia Pittman (MSMW) 6-1, 6-4
6. Adrianne Alfonso (SHU) def. Emma Blake (MSMW) 6-4, 6-0
Order of finish: (4,2,3,1,5,6)
1. Quintanilla/Davis (MSMW) vs. Lauria/Santarsiero (SHU) unfinished
2. Podsiebierski/Nauarro (SHU) def. Blake/Smith (MSMW) 7-5
3. Tobia/Laura Crivei (SHU) def. Cook/Pittman (MSMW) 7-5
Order of finish: (3,2,-)
Mount St. Mary's Men (3-16) Mount St. Mary's Women (1-17)
Sacred Heart Men (7-11) Sacred Heart Women (9-13)