December 5, 2018 – The Mount St. Mary's women's bowling team has been tabbed No. 19 in the country in the National Tenpins Coaches Association (NTCA) Poll released on Wednesday.
The first-year Mountaineers are out to an impressive 38-12 start to their inaugural season, and have earned 12 wins over top-25 nationally-ranked opponents through the opening part of the campaign. The Mount recorded a perfect 6-0 mark at its first Northeast Conference (NEC) tournament this past weekend, defeating five nationally-ranked teams on its way to the top of the league standings.
"No matter where we ended up in the updated rankings, we didn't need a poll to tell us this first semester has been a success," said Head Coach Kenneth DeGraaf. "At the beginning of the year, we had a team meeting where everyone agreed we were not going to use the freshmen excuse. We knew we were all freshmen and we knew we were a first-year program, but we also knew we could bowl, and that with hard work we could be competitive from the very beginning. That is exactly what we have done so far, and we are not going to relax now that we are ranked. We still feel like we have something to prove both in and out of conference play. I am excited to see what we can accomplish together in the second semester."
Mount St. Mary's has earned a pair of trophy finishes in its opening five tournaments this season, in addition to holding the top spot in the league standings after NEC Meet #1. The Mountaineers got off to a historic start at the program's first-ever competition to kick off the campaign, taking home the tournament crown at the Bud Whitman Memorial back in October. The Mount ran the table with a perfect 5-0 record, which included victories over two nationally-ranked programs. The team's other trophy finish came at the first home tournament in program history, the Mount Shootout, in late October. The Mountaineers once again registered a pair of top-25 victories, and earned second place at the tournament after reaching the championship round.
The now 19th-ranked Mountaineers resume action in mid-January at the Kutztown University Invite.
The National Tenpin Coaches Association December Poll
1. McKendree University, Lebanon, IL
2. University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE
3. Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN
4. Arkansas State University, Jonesboro, AR
5. Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, TX
6. Tulane University, New Orleans, LA
7. Fairleigh Dickinson University, Teaneck, NJ
8. University of Maryland Eastern Shore, Princess Anne, MD
9. St. Francis University, Loretto, PA
10. Stephen F. Austin State University, Nacogdoches, TX
11. North Carolina A&T, Greensboro, NC
12. University of Wisconsin, Whitewater, WI
13. Delaware State University, Dover, DE
14. Louisiana Tech University, Ruston, LA
15. Lincoln Memorial University, Harrogate, TN
16. Sacred Heart University, Fairfield, CT
17. Monmouth University, West Long Branch, NJ
18. LIU Brooklyn, Brooklyn NY
19. Mount Saint Mary's University, Emmitsburg MD
20. University of Alabama Birmingham, Birmingham, AL
21. Adelphi University, Garden City, NY
22. Maryville University, St. Louis, MO
23. Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, PA
24. University of Central Missouri, Warrensburg, MO
25. Kutztown University, Kutztown, PA