Apr 09, 2019
Emmitsburg, Md. (April 9, 2019) - The Mount St. Mary's men's and women's tennis teams both blanked Coppin State 7-0 on Tuesday afternoon. Gabriel Santos and Alonso Garcia led the men's team in the win with both singles flight and double flight victories on the day. The Mountaineers women completed the clean sweep by taking all of the singles and doubles flights in the win.
With the singles win, Alonso Garcia is now tied with Jackson Wood for the team lead in singles flight wins with 11 while Gabriel Santos is just one win behind them with 10 on the year. Senior Chris Lindsey finished his last career home match with a 6-2, 6-3 win in the number four flight. Alexa Quintanilla moves to a team leading 15 singles flight victories with the win and Hannah Davis leads the team with 16 doubles flight wins this season.
In singles action, the Mount swept all six flights to take firm control of the match. The Senior Chris Lindsey clinched the win for Mount St. Mary's with his victory in the fourth flight. Freshman Christian Duran picked up his first career win in the number six spot after he edged Zaipo Oula 6-1, 5-7, 10-6.
The Mountaineers earned the point from doubles competition after they grabbed the first and second flight wins. Jackson Wood and Parth Sharma recorded their number 14 victory in the first flight after they topped Rodriguez Rey and Scala McNeill 6-2. Gabriel Santos and Alonso Garcia downed Pettis and Oula 6-0 in the number two flight.
The Mount completed the clean sweep after they tabbed wins in all six singles flights. Mia Pittman clinched the match win for Mount St. Mary's after she defeated Precious Udofe 1-6, 6-0, 6-1 in the number four flight. Alexa Quintanilla is now 6-1 in the number one spot in the last seven matches after she topped Brittanie Cahua 6-1, 6-2. Pittman tabbed her first career singles flight win in the number four flight.
In doubles action, the Mountaineers took all three flights that gave them the point from double competition that gave them the early 1-0 lead in the match heading into singles action.
The Mount men's and women's tennis teams travel to Bucknell tomorrow, April 10 for matches at 4 PM.
Mount St. Mary's Men 7, Coppin State 0
1. Gabriel Santos (MSMM) def. Jorge Rodriguez Rey (CSUM) 6-3, 6-4
2. Alonso Garcia (MSMM) def. Henrique Sada (CSUM) 6-1, 6-0
3. Jean Armstrong (MSMM) def. Sam Scala-McNeill (CSUM) 6-3, 6-4
4. Chris Lindsey (MSMM) def. Prabh Bal (CSUM) 6-2, 6-3
5. Evan Hine (MSMM) def. Quincy Pettis (CSUM) 6-1, 6-1
6. Christian Duran (MSMM) def. Zaipo Oula (CSUM) 6-1, 5-7, 10-6
Order of Finish: (2,1,4,3,5,6)
Order of Finish: (2,1,3)
Mount St. Mary's Women 7, Coppin State 0
1. Alexa Quintanilla (MSMW) def. Brittanie Cahua (CSUW) 6-1, 6-2
2. Megan Smith (MSMW) def. Shariah Dunwell (CSUW) 6-2, 6-0
3. Hannah Davis (MSMW) def. Tinashe Gwaze (CSUW) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
4. Mia Pittman (MSMW) def. Precious Udofe (CSUW) 1-6, 6-0, 6-1
5. Emma Blake (MSMW) def. Ajla Hrnjic (CSUW) 6-0, 6-0
6. Bri Gallagher (MSMW) def. No player (CSUW), by forfeit
Order of Finish: (2,1,4,3,5,-)
1. Alexa Quintanilla/Hannah Davis (MSMW) def. Tinashe Gwaze/Brittanie Cahua (CSUW) 6-2
2. Megan Smith/Emma Blake (MSMW) def. Shariah Dunwell/Precious Udofe (CSUW) 6-3
3. Taylor Cook/Mia Pittman (MSMW) def. No player/No player (CSUW), by forfeit
Order of Finish: (1,2,-)
Coppin State Men 0-11
Mount St. Mary's Men 4-16
Mount St. Mary's Women 2-17