Apr 11, 2018
Staten Island, NY (April 11, 2018) - The Mount St. Mary's men's tennis team was topped by Wagner 5-2 on Wednesday afternoon. Brandon Wortkotter and Jackson Wood continue to roll in the number one doubles flight recording their 16th win this season. Wortkotter is just three doubles wins away from tying the all-time doubles record and only four wins away from breaking it.
The Seahawks took the one point advantage from doubles play by winning the second and third flights after the Mount won the number one flight. Wood/Wortkotter downed Lashkul/Sandy 6-2 for the Mountaineers' only doubles flight win. Parth Sharma and Evan Hine battled it out with Knepplehout and Boyd for the decisive doubles point but ultimately would be edged 7-6(8) by the Wagner duo.
In singles action, Wagner won four of the six flights to secure the overall match victory. Mount St. Mary's won the number two and number five singles flights for the only two Mount points of the match. Wortkotter defeated Ohrner 6-2, 6-4 in the second flight and Gabriel Santos edged Sandy 5-7, 6-4, 10-5 in the fifth flight for his sixth singles win on the year. The Mountaineers fall to 6-11 on the year with a conference record of 2-3.
The Mount men are back in action Thursday, April 12 with a match at Fairleigh Dickinson at 3:30 PM.
Wagner 5, Mount St. Mary's 2
1. Walter (Wagner) def. Jackson Wood (MSM) 2-6, 7-6(6), 6-4
2. Brandon Wortkotter (MSM) def. Ohrner (Wagner) 6-2, 6-4
3. Poland (Wagner) def. Parth Sharma (MSM) 6-4, 4-6, 7-6
4. Boyd (Wagner) def. Jean Armstrong (MSM) 6-4, 6-0
5. Gabriel Santos (MSM) def. Sandy (Wagner) 5-7, 6-4, 10-5
6. Knepplehout (Wagner) def. Chris Lindsey (MSM) 6-4, 7-6(3)