West Winsor, N.J. (April 21, 2017) - Mateo DeSomocurcio won the first flight in singles action but Mount St. Mary's men's tennis fell to Fairleigh Dickinson 4-1 in the NEC Quarterfinals on Friday night.
The Mount won the first flight in doubles action but the Knights took the point advantage with wins in the second and third flights. Tonon and Wortkotter finished the season with a doubles record of 11-4 even with the loss.
The senior DeSomocurcio won the Mountaineer's only point of the match in the number one flight to finish with a record of 9-11 in that flight and an overall record of 13-14 to lead the men's team. Brandon Wortkotter finished the season with a solid 12-15 record in his junior year. Fairleigh Dickinson won the fourth, fifth, and sixth flights that put them ahead. The second and third flights went unfinished since FDU had already clinched the win.
The Mount finished the 2016-17 season with a 6-14 record and 1-5 in NEC play.
Fairleigh Dickinson 4, Mount 1
1. ARMSTRONG/MAST (MSM) def. WHALLEY, Jacob/QUINTANA, Gonzalo (FDU) 6-4
2. CHAN, Adam/VUKOTIC, Danilo (FDU) def. TONON/WORTKOTTER (MSM) 6-4
3. CARVALHO, Pedro/GARNEL, Diogo (FDU) def. Zachary Burau/DESOMOCURCIO (MSM) 6-4
1. Mateo DeSomocurcio (MSM) def. WHALLEY, Jacob (FDU) 6-0, 6-0
2. QUINTANA, Gonzalo (FDU) vs. Darren Mast (MSM) 4-6, 6-2, 5-3, unfinished
3. CHAN, Adam (FDU) vs. Louis Tonon (MSM) 3-6, 6-3, 2-1, unfinished
4. CARVALHO, Pedro (FDU) def. Brandon Wortkotter (MSM) 7-5, 7-5
5. VUKOTIC, Danilo (FDU) def. Peter Landis (MSM) 6-2, 6-2
6. GARNEL, Diogo (FDU) def. Jean Armstrong (MSM) 6-3, 6-3