Delaware Knocks Off Mount St. Mary’s in Men’s Lacrosse Season Opener

Delaware Knocks Off Mount St. Mary’s in Men’s Lacrosse Season Opener

Newark, Del. (February 10, 2018) – Delaware used a strong fourth quarter to knock off Mount St. Mary's for the 16-12 win on Saturday afternoon in the season opener for both teams.

Brenden McCarthy, Stephano Mastro and Luke Frankeny led the way for the Mount with two goals apiece in the contest, while Chris DiPretoro, Jack Mangan and Joe Bethke each added a goal and an assist.

For Delaware, Will Hirschmann led all scorers with four goals and three assists on the afternoon, while Peter St. Geme (3g, 1a) and Charlie Kitchen (2g, 2a) registered four points each.

Matt Vieheller posted a 12-save performance in cage for the Mount. His counterpart, Matt DeLuca, collected 11 saves in the winning effort for Delaware.

McCarthy scored the Mount's first goal of the season off a feed from Bethke at the 9:31 mark of the first quarter to even the score at 1-1, but Delaware was able to net the final two tallies of the period to take a 3-1 advantage into the second.

On the opening possession of the second frame, defenseman Zach Roberts registered his first career goal on a deep snipe that beat DeLuca, bringing the Mount within a score.

The Mountaineers followed with a goal from Rich Holle at the 10:46 mark, and Mastro's first collegiate score just 17 seconds later to grab their first lead of the contest, 4-3.

Mastro stuck again with his second of the game with 5:48 left in the half off a nice find from Matt Haggerty to add to the Mount's lead. On the ensuing faceoff, rookie Sam Stephan won the battle at the X and took it the distance before firing one past DeLuca to make it a 6-3 Mountaineer advantage.

Bethke found the back of the net at the 4:35 mark to cap off a run of six straight goals for the Mountaineers, which put them on top by a 7-3 margin.

Delaware still trailed by four late in the half before registering three scores in the final 1:47 of play, including Hirschmann's goal that just beat the horn, as the Blue Hens cut the deficit to 7-6 heading into the intermission.

With the Mount holding a 9-7 advantage early in the third following scores from DiPretoro and McCarthy, the Blue Hens were able to rattle off four of the final five goals of the period to take an 11-10 advantage, giving them their first lead since the first quarter.

Delaware and the Mount traded goals to open the fourth before two straight from the Blue Hens, including Hirschmann's third of the contest, pushed their lead to 14-11 at the 9:41 mark.

Jack Mangan got on the board with 9:07 remaining in the contest to cut the deficit to 14-12, but the Mountaineers were held off the board in the final nine-plus minutes of play, and Delaware added a pair of insurance goals in the final 1:40 to close out the 16-12 victory.

The Mountaineers are off until next Saturday (Feb. 17), when they battle No. 14 Towson in Baltimore at 12 p.m.