Feb 19, 2019
MOUNT ST. MARY'S (7-20-, 4-10 NEC) at CENTRAL CONNECTICUT (11-16, 5-9 NEC)
Thursday, February 21, 2019, 7 pm
Detrick Gymnasium, New Britain, Conn.
NEWS AND NOTES
- The Mount lost a heartbreaker to Wagner, 58-56, at home on Saturday afternoon. Vado Morse drained a clutch three-pointer with 5.5 seconds remaining to knot the score at 56-56. Wagner's Romone Saunders then took the inbounds pass, drove the length of the court, and banked home the winning lay-up at the buzzer. Morse paced the Mount with 23 points and four assists in the game.
- Central Connecticut rallied from a 16-point first-half deficit to earn a 77-68 win at the Mount on January 12. With the win, the Blue Devils now hold a 22-21 lead in the all-time series. The Mount is 10-12 all-time on the road against Central Connecticut, and has won five of the past six matchups at Detrick Gymnasium.
- The Mount's freshmen have scored 64.3 percent of the Mount's points this season (1,172 of 1,823 points). Vado Morse leads the way with 379 points while Malik Jefferson (213), Dee Barnes (149), Damian Chong Qui (173) and Nana Opoku (124) are all over 100 points this year.
- Vado Morse has scored 20 or more points in each of the past three games, averaging 22.3 points, 4.3 rebounds and 4.3 assists over that stretch, shooting 48.8 percent from the field and 76.0 percent at the line.
- Freshman Vado Morse was named the Northeast Conference Rookie of the Week for the sixth time this season on Monday. Morse averaged 22.0 points, 3.0 rebounds and 4.0 assists in a 1-1 week for the Mountaineers. His six NEC Rookie of the Week awards are a Mount record, breaking the old standard of five set by Shivaughn Wiggins in 2012-13. The six NEC Rookie of the Week awards are tied for the sixth-most in NEC history.
- Sophomore guard Jalen Gibbs is averaging 14.5 points and a team-best 6.3 rebounds over the past six games. Gibbs has collected eight rebounds in each of the past two games.