Dec 20, 2018
MOUNT ST. MARY'S (2-9) vs. ST. MARY'S (Md.) (5-6)
Saturday, December 22, 2018, 4 pm
Knott Arena * Emmitsburg, Md.
- Malik Jefferson had 12 points and a career-high 20 rebounds to lead the Mount past American, 56-55, on Tuesday night. The Mount raced to an early 13-point first half lead, and led 29-22 at the half. American fought back, cutting the deficit to one in the final minute. The Eagles had a chance to win, but the last second shot by Sa'eed Nelson was off the mark, and the Mount's Omar Habwe corralled the rebound to seal the win.
- Mount St. Mary's head coach Dan Engelstad is a 2007 graduate of St. Mary's College with a bachelor's degree in political science. He served as a team captain (2004-07) for the Seahawks and graduated as the school's all-time leader with 419 career assists.
- Malik Jefferson's 20-rebound effort in the win over American broke the Mount's D1 record for rebounds in a game. Jefferson had 12 offensive rebounds in the game, tied for the most offensive rebounds in a game this season in all of NCAA Division I. The previous Mount D1 record for rebounds in a game was 18, set by Chris Cavanagh on Feb. 15, 1992, against Fairleigh Dickinson.
- Saturday's game will be an exhibition game for St. Mary's, but will count for the Mount's season record.
- The Mount defense has picked up during its two-game win streak. The Mountaineers have held the opposition to 57.0 points, 42.0 percent shooting from the field, and 22.0 percent shooting from three-point range over the past two games. The Mount is a +12.0 in rebound margin over that span.
- The Mount had a balanced offensive effort at American with seven players scoring between 6-12 points in the game. Malik Jefferson was the lone Mountaineer in double figures with 12 points, followed by Jalen Gibbs (8), Dee Barnes (8), Vado Morse (7), Omar Habwe (7), Nana Opoku (6) and Damian Chong Qui (6).
- Up next, the Mount heads to Minnesota on December 30. The game will air live on ESPNU at 4 pm ET.