Mar 06, 2017
NORTHEAST CONFERENCE TOURNAMENT CHAMPIONSHIP GAME
#1 MOUNT ST. MARY'S (18-15) vs. #4 SAINT FRANCIS U (16-15)
Tuesday, March 7, 2017, 7:00 p.m.
Knott Arena, Emmitsburg, Md.
MOUNT STORY LINES
- Mount St. Mary's pulled away in the final minute for a 75-66 win over Robert Morris on Saturday in the NEC semifinals at Knott Arena. Elijah Long hit a clutch three-pointer to give the Mount a 68-64 lead with 50 seconds left, Chris Wray added a pair of free throws, and Junior Robinson's lay-up with 24 seconds remaining sealed the win for the Mountaineers. Long finished the game with 22 points, five rebounds and five assists while Robinson added 18 points in the game. Mount St. Mary's trailed by as much as nine points in the first half.
- Mount St. Mary's advances to the NEC Championship game for the seventh time since joining the league in 1989-90. The Mountaineers are 4-2 all-time in the title game, winning in 1995, 1999, 2008 and 2014 while falling in 2009 and 2013.
- Mount St. Mary's is hosting the NEC Championship game for the first time. In the previous six appearances, the Mount was on the road five times while the other was at a neutral site.
- Mount St. Mary's head coach Jamion Christian has led the Mount to the NEC title game in three of his five seasons at the helm of the program. Overall, in 11 seasons as a Division I assistant and head coach, Christian's teams have advanced to the conference championship game six times.
- Mount St. Mary's is in the NEC Championship game for the fifth time over the past 10 seasons. The five NEC title game appearances over the that span are the second-most in the league behind Robert Morris (6).
- Elijah Long was named First Team All-Northeast Conference on Tuesday. He is just the fifth Mountaineer all-time to earn First Team All-NEC, joining Chris McGuthrie (1994-95 and 1995-96), Riley Inge (1995-96), Gregory Harris (1998-99) and Goode (2008-09 and 2009-10).