Jan 18, 2017
MOUNT ST. MARY'S (7-12, 5-1 NEC) at SACRED HEART (8-11, 3-3 NEC)
Thursday, January 19, 2017, 7:00 p.m.
William H. Pitt Center, Fairfield, Conn.
MOUNT STORY LINES
- Mount St. Mary's rallied from a 15-point first-half deficit to secure a 78-72 win over Saint Francis U at Knott Arena on Saturday. Trailing 35-20 with just over four minutes left in the first half, the Mount rallied to cut the gap to 36-32 at the half. The Mount took its biggest lead of the game, 66-57, with 7:20 remaining, and held on for the victory. Elijah Long scored a team-high 17 points while adding eight rebounds and five assists. He was one of five Mountaineers to reach double figures in the game. Joining him were Greg Alexander (16), Mawdo Sallah (13), Miles Wilson (13) and Chris Wray (10).
- Mount St. Mary's has opened Northeast Conference play with a 5-1 record for the second consecutive season. In all, the Mount has started 5-1 in NEC play three times since joining the league in 1989-90. The Mount has never started NEC player with a 6-1 record. Last year, the Mount opened 5-1 in the NEC before falling at Sacred Heart, 76-71.
- Mount St. Mary's is averaging 77.3 points over the past three games, shooting 50.3 percent from the field and 35.2 percent from three-point range.
- Junior forward Chris Wray has scored in double figures in each of the past four games, averaging 12.8 points, 5.0 rebounds, 2.7 blocks and 2.0 assists over that stretch while shooting 68.6 percent from the field.
- Elijah Long was fantastic for the Mount last week, averaging 15.5 points, 8.5 assists, 7.5 rebounds and 3.0 steals in wins over Fairleigh Dickinson and Saint Francis U. He flirted with a triple-double against FDU, finishing with 14 points, 12 assists and seven boards.
- Greg Alexander is averaging a team-high 17.5 points over the past two games. Alexander is 13-for-26 (.500) from the field and 9-of-21 (.429) from three-point range over the past two contests.
- Mount St. Mary's holds a 22-10 lead in the all-time series with Sacred Heart that began on Jan. 10, 1986. The Mountaineers are 9-6 on the road against Sacred Heart, including a 68-55 victory in the 2008 Northeast Conference Championship game. Sacred Heart has won three of the past five matchups in the series. Last year, the teams split the season series with each winning on their home court.